Monday, February 2, 2009

Would you pay $4400 for a Superhero Cape?


Follow up to last week:
I was asked to do an interview by the Philadelphia inquirer regarding a New Law called Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (aka CSPIA) The article came out last Thursday 1/29.

Here is the Link to the full article, click on the link:
http://www.philly.com/inquirer/magazine/20090129_Craftspeople_see_safety_proposal_as_threat.html
Some background what the law is:
The law was written because of the issues with China Using Lead in children's toy. By when law makers wrote the law they did not consider the small business in the US such as my own. The law states that all maker of all toys and clothing for children under the age of 12 must be 3rd party tested and certified to not contain lead (lead is in paint and some printing methods,some metal parts jewlrey). The issue is the requirement are all fabric, components, trims, all colors must be tested and every time we use a new dye lot, testing is required again. The Testing Cost $100 per item fabric, trim..and then you have to get the finish toy/clothing test when it is done.

So just for capes I have 10 satins, 13 felts, 6 velcro, 13 threads, 2 labels @$100 per test= 4400.00
then technically I have to get the capes tested by color way when they are done being sew)
than every time I purchase new fabric do the tests again
How could I build that in to the cost of the $15.00 cape?

Don't forget I have other products, tees, mask, gloves, teepees, dresses (one dress I use 3-4 fabrics per dress)

The handmade community is pushing to have the law amended to exempt manufactures that make under 5000 pieces per lot or have under $1 million in sales. At best exempt handmade community.

I am of the opinion that the US government is way to busy to come after the mom at home sewing in he bedroom. But I do feel as my company grows it is an issue. I have already been asked by one of my clients who is Boutique for the testing certification letter. So do I think BabyPop Designs will affect me long term, yes.

Where as I think it is important to protect the American child from careless manufacturing off shore, I think it is important to protect the small business owners as well. With so many Americans out of work should we encourage those who want to change there situation. Many artisans make items for the love of children's. I have hear of a lot of my fellow artisans getting out of making kids items because of the law, which is a shame.


If you would like to learn more or help out with the effort to amenda the law:
here some help:
Forbes http://www.forbes.com/2009/01/16/cpsia-safety-toys-oped-cx_wo_0116olson.html
Handmade Toy alliance http://www.handmadetoyalliance.org/
My blog: http://babypopdesigns.blogspot.com/2009/01/cpsia-save-my-bussiness-and-please-read.html

http://www.etsy.com/storque/media/bunker/2009/01/CPSIA-Etsy-Resources.pdf

Here are some resources for supporters:
Contact info for Waxman
Washington, D.C. Office:
2204 Rayburn House Office Building,
District of Columbia 20515-0530
Phone: (202) 225-3976
Fax: (202) 225-4099
Los Angeles Office: (more district offices)
8436 West 3rd Street,
Suite 600Los Angeles,
California 90048
Phone: (323) 651-1040
Fax: (323) 655-0502

On Saturday night the CSPS stay or extended the deadline for the certification to a 2/2/2001. But the law still need to be changed.

Thanks for Take your time to read and please feel free to pass the information along,

No comments: